What would I need to learn to become a yuki developer?

Broseph Stalin

Hey, hows it going yuki crew? Just wanted to ask what kinds of things I would need to learn to become a developer on this server. I haven't worked with servers much at all, but I do know how to program C# at a beginner college level thanks to Tony Gaddis's Starting Out with Visual C# 2012. This isn't quite a Application, but I just wanted to know what books about servers or specific programming languages I would need to pick up to learn how to develop for you server in Garry's Mod.

Thanks for your consideration,

Broseph Stalin

I'm not sure if we're even going to be in the market for programmers when we do try to recruit new developers. However, if programming is what you'd like to do, you would have to be proficient in Gmod's version of Lua. There are probably good resources available on Facepuch's forums. I'm not sure if it will help for programming on Gmod, but Valve's Developer Wiki has been an amazing asset to me.

If you aren't set on programming, we will more likely need people who can make and port 3d models to Source (I have a document to help people get the resources they need to get started on this, do let me know if you want that), create high quality materials and textures for environments and models, or do other things like video or graphic design that could be helpful to us. @WinterPhoenix96 can probably expand upon this further.

I'm not sure if we're even going to be in the market for programmers when we do try to recruit new developers. However, if programming is what you'd like to do, you would have to be proficient in Gmod's version of Lua. There are probably good resources available on Facepuch's forums. I'm not sure if it will help for programming on Gmod, but Valve's Developer Wiki has been an amazing asset to me.

If you aren't set on programming, we will more likely need people who can make and port 3d models to Source (I have a document to help people get the resources they need to get started on this, do let me know if you want that), create high quality materials and textures for environments and models, or do other things like video or graphic design that could be helpful to us. @WinterPhoenix96 can probably expand upon this further.

Thanks! I'm not super into modeling and creating things myself, as I have not developed my artistic abilities well but we'll see if that changes when I start making a game next year. Wouldn't mind having a look at the document to see what i'd be getting into. Do let me now if you need programmers in the future so I can try to understand Lua to help you guys out :) .

I'm not trying to speak for Winter which is why I tagged him here. He may decide to hire more programmers at any time. It's definitely worth picking up if you're interested anyway as it will give you the prior experience necessary to be hired.

We likely won't be looking for more programmers once we start recruiting more developers. That being said, if you want to learn GLua anyway, you should start here: http://wiki.garrysmod.com/page/Beginner_Tutorial_Intro

After that, you should look here: http://wiki.garrysmod.com/page/Category:Lua_Tutorials

And then after that, should you really want to acquaint yourself, look here: http://wiki.garrysmod.com/page/Category:Modding_Tutorials

Also yes, if we ever hire more programmers, previous experience is basically the difference between being recruited and not. Same for a lot of jobs.

Last edited:
Back