1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What truly makes a good game

Discussion in 'Video Game Discussion' started by Ziziio, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Ziziio

Ziziio Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

What do you think makes a "good" game and why? Is it story? Graphics? Art Design? Characters? Voice Acting?

Share your thoughts and opinions below as to what you think makes your favorite games great!

2. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear 3D Modeler Staff Member Developer

I might be old school, but I can forgo all of the above if the gameplay is decent and fun. I consider those other things bonuses because a game can be good without them.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  3. Ziziio

Couldn't agree more. Art direction and style is a big thing for me. Sound design also. But if a game doesn't have good gameplay, why bother? A good story I would also say is a good bonus at the end of the day.

4. Inco

Inco Level Designer / Programmer Staff Member Developer

helps if the game is actually fun to play, or at the very least has entertainment value of some kind
    and personally for me games with sandbox and modding are a huge factor to how much time i spend with them (evident from having like 6k+ hours in gmod in total)

5. Ziziio

I agree. GMod has a certain charm to it that no other game I feel can really capture. For me it was finding my place in the Cinema game mode watching videos with friends.

6. WinterPhoenix

WinterPhoenix Founder/Lead Developer Staff Member Founder/Lead Developer

I'd argue it depends on the game. What makes a good social multiplayer game is wildly different than what makes a good story-driven RPG.

7. Ziziio

Yes. Take single player Fallout and Fallout 76 for example, two completely different games and two completely different types of quality. One is more story focused and the other is more RPG online MMO based.

8. MMOduelmasterXoX

MMOduelmasterXoX New Member

9. Ziziio

10. tacchan

tacchan New Member

For me lately a game just needs to hold my attention, it's USUALLY a mixture of the games controls/mechanics and physics, eg momentum. The first game to really grip me with its story was Sleeping Dogs, and it wasn't until Alyx that I genuinely felt immersed in a games story again.

So it's hard to pinpoint really, I mean by my logic an otherwise mediocre game could have me playing for hours if it has a fun movement system, however I could never play a mediocre game for its story alone. I guess it's really genre specific for me, and easy points are rewarded for things like Worms Armageddon's rope, bhopping, surfing, Sonic's momentum, Mario 64's entire everything, etc.