1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Tutorial] GMod CEF Codec Fix - macOS

Discussion in 'Help and Support' started by Sophie-bear, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Sophie-bear

Sophie-bear 3D Modeler Staff Member Developer

Step-by-step Guide to setting up GMod CEF Codec Fix on macOS
    Note: Garry's Mod must be closed before following this guide.
    If you are already on the [x86-64] branch, skip to step 5!
    Other tutorials: Windows | Linux

1. Open Steam, then right click Garry's Mod from your Library games list. Select Properties from the menu.

[​IMG]

2. In the properties window, switch to the "Betas" tab.

[​IMG]

3. From the Betas tab, click on the Dropdown menu and select "x86-64 - Chromium + 64-bit Binaries"

[​IMG]

4. Now you can close the properties window and wait for the update to download.

5. When the update is finished downloading, go to the Releases tab on GMod CEF Codec Fix Github page.

6. From that page, under Assets, click the appropriate package for your operating system to download the script. Use the version closest to the top of the page, that's the newest one!

[​IMG]

7. Open Terminal from Applications ▸ ⁨Utilities or using Spotlight, then type the command
    Code:
    chmod +x 
    and drag the file you downloaded onto the Terminal window. Press Enter to run the command. This makes the Codec Fix executable. You will notice the icon for the GModCEFCodecFix file change if you've done this correctly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Double click the GModCEFCodecFix file in Finder. When the script runs, it will say what it is doing. If the files are not patched yet, the patches will download. Depending on your internet speed, this step can take a moment.

[​IMG]

9. When finished, you can launch GMod from the GModCEFCodecFix window by typing "y" and pressing Enter. If you do not wish to run GMod now, type "n" and press Enter.

[​IMG]

Congratulations! If you made it this far, you're done. Luckily the script does pretty much all of the work for us this time.

To avoid the file patches reverting to the files included with GMod, be sure to use the GModCEFCodecFix script to launch GMod, or launch GMod via your games list. Using most methods of game launching on Steam forces a file validation pass which will revert these patches. You'll have to run the script again to re-patch the files if you do this.

2. Cachumbos

Cachumbos New Member

Hi, i was trying to follow all the steps but when i open the GModCEFCodecFix file, this happens:

8d23a89469345d7d5bd615fc19710298.png

i already tried verifying gmod's integrity and even reinstalling the whole game and doing all the process again, but i still get that error, what can i do?

Sophie-bear likes this.
  3. Sophie-bear

Thanks for the info. Because of how GMod on macOS is signed, we have to manually update patches every time GMod is updated itself. This may result in lapses of time where this error will happen if we're not notified in some way of the update. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I'll see to it that it's fixed ASAP.

4. Cachumbos

Cachumbos New Member

Oh ok, thanks for answering this quick! i hope you can find a solution soon

5. Sophie-bear

Give it a shot now. Should be good to go.

6. Cachumbos

Cachumbos New Member

It works great now, thanks a bunch!

Sophie-bear likes this.
  7. Sophie-bear

We now have an automated system in place to handle future updates to macOS GMod. As it stands, this process checks every 6 hours for an update, so the longest amount of time you'll go without access to GMod CEF Codec Fix is 6 hours. This is also nice because we no longer have to be informed of GMod updates and it'll just generate the new patches automagically.

8. Imtrickii

Imtrickii New Member

Hey having trouble. Says "
    [19001] Error loading Python lib '/var/folders/dr/6pk6p5397fxct5x7ym4v_l000000gn/T/_MEITsMiXI/libpython3.8.dylib': dlopen: dlopen(/var/folders/dr/6pk6p5397fxct5x7ym4v_l000000gn/T/_MEITsMiXI/libpython3.8.dylib, 10): Symbol not found: ____chkstk_darwin

Referenced from: /var/folders/dr/6pk6p5397fxct5x7ym4v_l000000gn/T/_MEITsMiXI/libintl.8.dylib

Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

in /var/folders/dr/6pk6p5397fxct5x7ym4v_l000000gn/T/_MEITsMiXI/libintl.8.dylib

Yas-iMac% /Users/yaface/Desktop/GModCEFCodecFix-macOS.py

[19003] Error loading Python lib '/var/folders/dr/6pk6p5397fxct5x7ym4v_l000000gn/T/_MEInT4zRM/libpython3.8.dylib': dlopen: dlopen(/var/folders/dr/6pk6p5397fxct5x7ym4v_l000000gn/T/_MEInT4zRM/libpython3.8.dylib, 10): Symbol not found: ____chkstk_darwin

Referenced from: /var/folders/dr/6pk6p5397fxct5x7ym4v_l000000gn/T/_MEInT4zRM/libintl.8.dylib

Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

in /var/folders/dr/6pk6p5397fxct5x7ym4v_l000000gn/T/_MEInT4zRM/libintl.8.dylib
    "
    No idea what to do in regards to coding, but I believe I need to have it run in python 3.8. Now, I have it installed however I dont know how to run it in 3.8 as the default python is in python 2.7.10. I also looked online how to make it default(python 3) and was told not to becuase "blah blah some files er something will crash because it needs blah blah python 2.7.10 or whatever the frick."(In my mind of course) So I know to get into to python 3 but I have no idea how execute THE file. As it says "syntax error" when my gunga brain attempts to just throw the file inside python. I tried to look it up but the nomenclature stated on the forums is just irritating and just too much for me. Anyway if I could get the appropriate "syntax" OR even be told "thats not the issue......... blah blah here's the fix" or hell even a response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Sophie-bear likes this.
  9. Sophie-bear

You shouldn't need to be doing anything with Python. Download the executable from the releases tab on Github here.
    After that, make the file executable in macOS by running `chmod +x` on it. This is outlined in the tutorial. When this is done you can simply run the executable directly from Finder or from a Terminal.

10. Imtrickii

Imtrickii New Member

Okie doke. So I started over, I followed the steps with the file I download(the MacOsCodecFix..) and I put in 'chmod +x' with it and ran it. Easy done, I got the Exec. file. However, when I try run it through finder or by putting it in terminal I get that error message above. Sorry if I wasn't clear on my first message with what step I was on.(p.s. Thank you for the response)

11. WinterPhoenix

WinterPhoenix Founder/Lead Developer Staff Member Founder/Lead Developer

What version of macOS are you on?

12. Imtrickii

Imtrickii New Member

sierra 10.12.6

13. WinterPhoenix

WinterPhoenix Founder/Lead Developer Staff Member Founder/Lead Developer

It's probably just too old. Support for Sierra ended in 2019.

From what I can tell googling around, there's some stuff that's missing from older versions of macOS that's in 10.15 Catalina, which is what we compile the executable with.

You've got 2 options:
    1. Update to a newer version of macOS, likely you'll need at least 10.14 Mojave
      or
    2. Get the .py script, install all of its dependencies, possibly modify those dependencies to work around some bugs, and run it yourself