Denied Nyxie's Mapper application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyxie

Steam Username:
Nyxie ( http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheOfficialNyxie/ )

Current Age:

Timezone (Use this website if you don't know)
Eastern -5

Time Ranges Typically on the Server in a Day (Eastern Time)
10 PM - 10AM

Position Applying For (Moderator, Programmer, Modeler, Mapper, Graphics Artist, or Video Editor/Marketeer)
Mapper

Understand and Agree to Maintain Activity Quota? (Moderators only)

Past Experience/Creations Applicable to Position
Back in the day I used to make bhop/surf maps in csgo which I never published and they were blocky, basic and bland however it was 7+ years ago. Since then I haven't done anything else.

Community Join Date and Total Playtime on Servers (you can give a rough estimate if you don't know)
Joined sometime in January or February. Total playime: 52 hours.

How You Would Improve the Studio or Community
I would improve the community by trying to build upon what is also in place with new ideas, different ways to do things. I hope to bring more positivity than what is already here.

Extra Information or Comments
Although my experience may be very limited I have the drive to learn to produce high quality maps, I won't publish or present anything that isn't done to my best ability which I critique very crucially and meticulously. My goal would be to give something that most people would appreciate as being part of the map or community in general.

If other positions are available I may be more fit to those as I have much more experience doing other things than mapping.

Thanks for applying Nyxie, it really is awesome to see quite a few people really wanting to jump aboard on mapping for us, but I've got a few things I have to say stick out to me:

1. You say the "experience" you have is making unpublished, "blocky", and "bland" surf maps in CSGO 7 years ago, but for this position we need to see actual works you've done for the sake of being able to determine your skill level and where you'd be able to help us. I understand the eagerness to join a team and make something (I did that a lot after I had made only my first map), but we need something physical to look at.

2. Having the drive for wanting to learn how to make high quality maps, and saying you do, are two different things. Anyone can make a high quality map if they want to; it's a matter of being able to have a good creative capacity and knowledge of Hammer's restrictions/advantages to be able to produce something nice. What I'm saying is essentially that joining our team wont necessarily make you a good mapper suddenly. All of us on the team learned the good ol' hard way of reading guides and watching tutorials to get to our varying skill levels. When I applied for YukiTheater, all I had were tons upon tons of incomplete maps, tests, and concepts; the idea that you need something complete and done at the highest quality before you show anyone is (pardon me and no offense intended) bullshit. If you truly had the drive, you would have been trying to learn over those 7 years (or even this past year) and have maybe by now had some stuff to show off.

3. You say that if other positions are available, you might have more experience in those? Well, we have modeling, programming, and art available; but again, we'll need proof that you can do any of those. I love teaching people how to use things, but no one on the team has the time to sit down and explain to you how any of it works (we're also not in a state where we can just hire idle devs who are in the process of learning).

With that, I conclude that until you show us some physical experience proving that you truly have the drive, or show us the same for any of the other positions, we will not be able to put you on our team.

However critical I was, I wish you luck and really do hope to see you turn this all around later down the road!

~Muffinz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back